Burning in the chest: in the middle, left, right. Bakes in the sternum - what can it be?
Burning in the chest - a nonspecific signA number of pathologies and functional disorders. In the chest are vital organs - esophagus, liver, lungs, heart, the diseases of which cause soreness and burning sensation in the sternum. The heat in the chest can trigger abnormalities in the functioning of the pancreas, stomach, psychotic abnormalities and nervous diseases. Independently to reveal the reason of a dyscomfort in a thorax it is impossible, therefore at occurrence of alarming symptoms it is recommended to address to the doctor and to pass or take place full inspection.
Bakes in the sternum - what can it be?
Character and localization of unpleasant sensationsDiffer in a wide variety: burning can be concentrated in the heart, spread all over the surface of the chest, grasping the right or left half, "give" to the shoulder blades, neck, lower back, upper abdomen, lower and upper extremities.
Burning in the chest - cardiogenic causes
- Angina pectoris. It is characterized by a feeling of squeezing / burning in the chest zone with irradiation in the left arm, shoulder, neck. The attack begins during physical exertion, passes at rest, is quickly removed by nitroglycerin.
- Myocardial infarction. Clinical syndrome, which occurs due to damage to the heart muscle. Manifestations of myocardial infarction have many options - from episodic burning behind the sternum to a developed attack, accompanied by acute pain in the middle of the chest, dyspnea, increased heart rate, swelling, severe weakness, pallor of the skin, a drop in blood pressure.
- Arterial hypertension. Sudden increase in blood pressure (hypertensive crisis) is combined with headaches, burning in the chest, noise in the ears, drowsiness, flushing of the skin of the face, a feeling of heat, fatigue, weakness.
Pericarditis. Inflammatory disease affecting the pericardium - the outer shell of the heart muscle.
Typical symptom complex:
- Pain and burning are localized in the chest to the left, less often - spread to the right arm and right half of the breast;
- With pericardial pains are not fixed under the left scapula, in the neck, jaws;
- The intensity of the pain syndrome does not depend on physical exertion, but decreases when the position of the body changes.
- Cardiomyopathy. Heart diseases that are not differentiated from vascular defects, inflammatory processes, insufficient oxygen supply. At the heart of cardiomyopathy are metabolic disruptions, causing painful sensations of a different nature - permanent and episodic, with localization in the center of the chest and extending to a large area, cutting and limited to a slight burning behind the sternum.
- Heart defects (mitral valve prolapse,Aortic stenosis). In case of violations of the structure of the valves, the overloaded cardiac muscle shrinks more and more often, which is explained by its increased need for oxygen. At some point, due to intensive work, a malfunction occurs, manifested as burning and pain in the chest, which are pinched, piercing, pressing, accompanied by irregular blood pressure, edema on the lower extremities, weakness, increased fatigue.
- Arrhythmias. Disorders of normal heart rhythm, combined with discomfort and burning in the sternum during seizures. Other manifestations: dizziness, weakness, "interruptions" in the heart, loss of consciousness.
Burning in the chest - non-cardiogenic causes
Pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract:
- and apharyngeal hernia. Pain with diaphragmatic hernia has two forms. First: the classic burning behind the sternum, which is directly related to irritation of the esophageal mucosa with stomach contents and esophageal reflux, appears in a horizontal position. Second: reflux can cause pain syndrome, characteristic of myocardial ischemia, and spasm of the esophagus, which occurs after taking nitroglycerin;
- ulcer of the duodenum / stomach. It manifests itself by burning in the retrosternal zone, vomiting, nausea, bloating, belching, acidic heartburn;
- cholecystitis. In 50% of cases, pain and burning in the epigastrium and in the chest appear after 2-3 hours after eating;
- gastroesophageal reflux. With this pathology, hydrochloric acid is thrown into the esophagus from the stomach, which causes burning in the chest to the left and pain radiating to the neck, arm, under the left rib.
Pleural / Lung Diseases:
- pneumonia. Characterized by the appearance of pain and burning in the sternum on the right or left, shortness of breath, fever, 38-38.5 degrees, dry cough, weakness, pallor of the skin, general deterioration of health;
- pleurisy. Inflammation of the pleura manifests itself by pain and burning in the chest, gaining intensity during inspiration. Additional signs of pleurisy: fever, dry cough, weakness;
- tracheobronchitis. Atypical course of the disease can provoke pain and burning sensation behind the sternum due to muscle pains with a debilitating cough or local irritation.
Diseases of the musculoskeletal system:
- osteochondrosis. Degenerative disease of the spinal column, which "gives" symptoms in the form of burning in the sternum when involved in the process of the thoracic spine. In parallel, numbness of the upper limbs, decreased sensitivity, "lumbago" in the heart;
- intercostal neuralgia. A typical sign of intercostal neuralgia is an episodic burning sensation in the chest, which increases with exhalation / inspiration, sneezing, coughing, changes in the position of the body;
- Titze syndrome. The defeat of the sternum-cartilaginous and costal cartilage compounds causes redness and swelling of the joints of the anterior thoracic cage. Soreness and burning sensations in the sternum are provoked by movements of the chest during intensive physical exercises. The pain lasts several hours, "leaves" after taking analgesics.
Neurocircular dystonia (VSD). Functional disorder of the nervous system that causes malfunctions of the nervous regulation of many internal organs and systems.
- simple cardialgia. It develops suddenly, lasts 1-2 hours, then passes. Characterized by painful and aching pain and burning in the middle of the chest;
- cardialgia of vegetative crisis (protractedparoxysmal cardialgia). Appears against the background of exacerbation of the VSD, manifested by a feeling of fear, a sharp increase in blood pressure, severe weakness, trembling in the body, palpitations, burning and chest pain that is not blocked by nitroglycerin and validol;
- false angina. With pseudostenocardia, there are aching, constrictive pains, burning and fever in the chest, arising on the background of stress or psychoemotional stress;
- sympathetic cardialgia. There is a burning pain in the sternum in the middle or burning in the chest. To increase the pain syndrome leads to palpation of the zones located between the ribs.
Burning in the chest - psychogenic causes
Psychological abnormalities are psychogeniccaused by pathological disorders, part of the group of borderline mental illnesses. The leading symptom of cardiogenic disorders of psychogenic genesis is a combination of painful sensations of different character and localization. They can concentrate in the middle of the sternum, on the right or on the left, grab the whole thorax, give to the upper limbs, the lower abdomen, the neck. These sensations by characteristics are extremely labile - patients complain that they "burn", "burn", "bake" in the chest. To detect the true cause of discomfort in the heart area is helped only by a survey from a psychiatrist.
Regular burning in the chest should bean occasion for visiting a medical institution. Only a specialist can conduct a qualitative differential diagnosis, identify the cause of painful sensations in the heart and prescribe adequate medication.