Shocking facts about vitamins
Nowadays, vitamins have become an idol, an objectUniversal adoration and worship. All around drink vitamins and dietary supplements. Did you get sick? Keep the vitamin! I'm not sick yet - I'll eat for prophylaxis. But there's something you did not know about. Katherine Price, author of Vitamania, reveals all the secrets of vitamins and supplements.
- Vitamins are made from synthetic raw materials In order to synthesize vitamins inIndustrial conditions, and then sell them to the population, the basis is taken by a variety of, sometimes harmful substances. To synthesize vitamin A, acetone and formaldehyde are used, PP and B3 vitamins are produced with nylon 6.6 - it is also used to create seat belts, rubber mats and cable ties. Vitamin B1 is an additive made with coal tar. However, this does not harm health: as a result, an exact molecular copy of the natural vitamin is obtained.
- Vitamin C is not really a vitamin Almost all living organisms on Earth produceVitamin C. Only man and some relatives of primates (for example, guinea pigs) are not able to produce vitamin C. It seems that in the process of evolution this ability was lost. That is why it can not be considered vitamins in the literal sense of the word.
- The norms of vitamin consumption are invented In the report of the American non-governmentalNutrition Commission at the Academy of Sciences of the United States said that scientific research has not revealed how much vitamins need a person. We are given average values. And this is not to mention the fact that there are no recommended norms of consumption, not one (!) Of vitamins for newborns and infants of the first year of life.
- Is carrots for vision really need Lack of vitamin A causes blindness. If it is not enough, then the person first stops to see in the twilight and darkness, and then can completely lose sight. In African villages you can see a terrible picture: when the sun goes down, the children playing with each other are divided into two groups - one continues to run, and the second ones are hammered into the far corner and sit there until one of their relatives puts food in their hands or takes them sleep. After sunset for them, the world plunges into impenetrable darkness. To overcome this condition, you need vitamin A. As an option, carrots: the beta-carotene contained in it is processed into vitamin A. But if it is enough in your body, it is better to not see carrots in any way.
- There are only 13 vitamins Today, only 13 are known in scienceVarieties of vitamins. However, many companies sell the most common biologically active additives (or dietary supplements) called "vitamins". For example, a well-known American store sells as many as 18,000 drugs that contain the word "vitamin" in the name. Advertising slogans and do promise a wonderful healing.
- Scientists can not determine the content of vitamins in the body Surprisingly, there is no single standard andGeneral opinion about what values for the content of vitamins are considered minimal. So, the concept of "avitaminosis" is very fuzzy: no one knows exactly how much vitamin is not enough, but how much - a lot. Moreover, in the human body, organisms are deposited in the most unexpected places: for example, in order to obtain reliable data on vitamin A, it is necessary to make the most complicated procedure for liver biopsy, and then to take into account diurnal and corresponding to the season fluctuations in the level of vitamins in the body.
- There are not enough vitamins for everyone According to statistics, for today in the world aboutTwo billion people get less vitamins. For this reason, from time to time, epidemics of diseases associated with avitaminosis erupt. For example, over the past 20 years, scints of scurvy, a fatal disease caused by a lack of vitamin C, have been recorded for four times, and millions of people suffer from blindness and even die because of a lack of vitamin A.
- Vitamins are a means for the atonement of guilt. People are so confident in miraclesVitamins that allow themselves excess food or, conversely, do not eat healthy foods, believing that they will make up everything with the help of magic tablets. In fact, vitamins can not correct our nutritional errors by 100% - they are only an addition to the diet, but not a substitute for fresh vegetables, fruits and other regular foods.
- The body can store vitamins But not all and in different quantities. Vitamin C can last from 2 to 6 weeks, vitamin B1 can last from 4 to 10 days. But vitamin A, which is deposited in the liver, can last for a year, but only on condition that a person normally eats.
- Vitamins and dietary supplements are not the same thing If we consider the chemical composition of substances andStill take into account the technology of production, it turns out that absolutely all vitamins are biologically active additives (dietary supplements). But dietary supplements are not always vitamins: there are still amino acids, enzymes and even artificially grown tissues and glands.