Barrier method, barrier contraceptives. Barrier method of contraception for women.
Advantages of mechanical contraception:
- Exclusively local application / impact;
- Does not provoke systemic violations;
- Limited number of side effects;
- Has no serious contraindications;
- Protects against STDs;
- Does not require the involvement of medical personnel.
Disadvantages of barrier contraception:
- Has less reliability in comparison with hormonal contraceptives;
- Can provoke allergic reactions;
- Successful use implies constant attention;
- The possibility of applying only before / during sexual intercourse.
Indications for use:
- The presence of contraindications to the use of the intrauterine device and the intake of oral contraceptives;
- Lactation, the need for treatment with drugs that reduce the effectiveness of oral contraceptives;
- Period after miscarriage when it is impossible to take OK.
Sponges and tampons
Contraceptive sponges and tampons delaySperm, preventing spermatozoa from entering the cervical canal, while secreting a spermicide. The contraceptive effectiveness of the method does not exceed 75-80%. The sponge inserted into the vagina "works" for 24 hours. Contra-indications: childbirth, miscarriage 1,5-2 weeks ago, cervicitis, colpitis, a syndrome of an infectious-toxic shock in an anamnesis.
Contraceptive caps have the form of a thimble,Close the cervix of the uterus, closing access to spermatozoa in the uterine cavity. The reliability of the method is 80-85%. Neck caps are indicated for use by women with a reduced risk of pregnancy (advanced age / rare sexual intercourse), as an additional contraceptive during a break in taking hormone tablets. Contraindications: cervical abnormalities, vaginitis, excessive secretion of cervical mucus, erosion of the cervix, vaginal discharge, chronic inflammatory diseases of the urinary tract.
Recommendations for use:
- Dome cap fill with spermicide,Insert into the vagina and press against the cervix. An important point: it is necessary to create a vacuum space between the cap and the neck in order to achieve a suction effect;
- The cap should be injected 25-35 minutes before coition, leave in the vagina for 7-9 hours. For more than 48 hours, the contraceptive should not be left to avoid the development of inflammation of the pelvic organs.
Condoms are effective when applied duringEvery co-operation, the obligatory condition is a one-time use. Sexually transmitted diseases are protected only by latex condoms, which do not allow microorganisms, water and air to pass through. Condoms made from a different material do not have this ability. The contraceptive effectiveness of condom is 80-86%, therefore the condom can not be considered the most reliable method of protection. For comparison: the effectiveness of COC is 99-100%, intrauterine devices - 97-98%.
Indications for use:
- Protection from genital infections;
- Episodic sexual intercourse;
- Contraindications to other methods of contraception;
- Prevention of allergic reactions to sperm. With regular contact with sperm in the body of a woman sensitive to individual components of the sperm, sperm-destroying substances are produced - this is fraught with the development of infertility in a constant pair.
An erection disorder in a man, an allergy to latex.
- Condom should be worn on the erect penis, leaving at the end 1-1.5 centimeter of free space; Learn more about how to put on a condom here
- Before use, it is necessary to check the quality mark and the expiration date of the product;
- It is forbidden to apply oil or petroleum jelly as an additional lubricant - they weaken the barrier effect of the condom;
- After ejaculation, the integrity of the condom should be carefully checked, in case of rupture, take an oral contraceptive, insert a sponge, cream or douch into the vagina.