Hypothyroidism - what is it? Symptoms in children and during pregnancy. What causes hypothyroidism?
- Inborn. It is caused by insufficient functioning of the thyroid gland in a newborn. It happens that the thyroid gland is completely absent or is underdeveloped. According to statistics, the disease occurs in 1-2 children out of 5,000;
- Acquired. One of the most common pathologies (99%) of the thyroid gland. The main cause of the onset is a deficiency of thyroid hormones.
There are many disorders that are capable of provoking the development of hypothyroidism. Among them:
- Hashi-moto disease (chronic thyroiditis);
- Destruction of the thyroid gland;
- Therapy with radioactive iodine;
- Failures in the thyroid after delivery;
- Subacute thyroiditis;
- Irradiation in the neck;
- Taking medications (interferon, amiodarone);
- Presence of goiter.
In addition, very often the cause of development of hypothyroidism is the surgical removal of any part of the thyroid gland.
What is transient hypothyroidism in children?
Transient hypothyroidism usually occurs inNewborns born in regions with acute infectious diseases. Risk factors: premature infants; Children born with insufficient weight; The presence of bacterial or viral inflammatory processes in the womb.
To protect the future child from developmentPathology, it is necessary to take medication with iodine during the gestation period. If a woman is diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism, then hormone levels should be normalized before pregnancy is planned.
Symptoms of hypothyroidism
Symptomatic, characteristic of hypothyroidism is not immediately apparent. However, it is worth to be examined if such symptoms are found:
- Malfunctions in the menstrual cycle;
- A sharp set of body weight, despite a decreased appetite;
- nausea, vomiting;
- Constipation, flatulence;
- Deterioration of the hair condition. They become brittle and dry, quickly drop out;
- Swelling on the face, arms and legs;
- The color of the scalp acquires a yellowish hue;
- Hearing impairment;
- Changes in voice;
- Fatigue, fatigue;
- Inhibition of muscle reactions;
- Chills (due to metabolic disorders);
Treatment of hypothyroidism
You are interested in what is hypothyroidism, and is it treateddisease? Modern medical achievements allow artificially synthesizing thyroid hormone. Thus, therapy consists in providing the body with a scarce substance. The replacement of thyroiditis is carried out with the help of its analogue - L-thyroxine. In addition, hormonal replacement therapy may be prescribed.