Diseases of the throat and larynx in a child
Inflammation of the larynx and vocal cords. Pathogen: bacterial or viral infection, allergen. Than dangerous: leads to edema and narrowing of the larynx, which can cause choking.
- Dryness and perspiration in the throat;
- Difficulty swallowing;
- Dry, barking cough;
- Shortness of breath, wheezing.
Please note: the symptoms of laryngitis, as a rule, increase by night and reach a peak in the morning.
How it looks:
- The throat is red;
- In the depths of the pharynx you can see rough dark red lice - inflamed vocal cords.
As it is treated. The main thing is to prevent an attack of suffocation. To do this, use:
- Warm alkaline drink (milk with soda, heated mineral water);
- Alkaline inhalations (tablespoon of soda per liter of boiling water).
- Hot foot baths; The room is regularly ventilated.
Acute infectious disease with lesionPalatine tonsils. The causative agent: most often - streptococcus bacteria, but it happens that the angina is caused by the virus (for example, herpes). Than it is dangerous: antibodies fighting with streptococci affect the body's own tissues, which can lead to serious diseases:
- A sharp pain in the throat;
- A sharp increase in temperature;
- Weakness, apathy;
- lack of appetite;
- The increase and soreness of cervical, submandibular and occipital lymph nodes;
Important: children under three years of age with angina often complain of pain in the abdomen, and not in the throat.
How it looks:
- Tonsils red, enlarged;
- On the surface of the tonsils - whitish or yellowish coating, gray, white or yellow thin, translucent films.
Note: Symptoms of purulent sore throat are similar to those of some other serious diseases, for example diphtheria. In order not to be mistaken with a diagnosis, it is necessary to make a bacterial culture from the pharynx and nose. How to be treated: strict bed rest until complete recovery; Antibiotic therapy; Warm drink; Rinsing with antiseptic solutions and sprays. Our advice: to relieve the condition of the baby and speed up the recovery will help curd compresses. Spread the cottage cheese on a rag, attach to the neck, cover with compress paper and fix with a tubular bandage. In the morning, rinse with lukewarm water.
Acute infectious disease; Symptoms of sore throatCombined with a shallow rash. If you notice that one of the tonsils is much larger than the other, this may indicate a purulent abscess. Urgently call the doctor. Pathogen: beta-hemolytic streptococcus group A. Than it is dangerous: penetrating through the oral mucosa, the infection spreads throughout the body, affecting the heart, kidneys, central nervous system. Sometimes the rash with scarlet fever lasts a very short time (just a few hours), which can make it difficult to diagnose.
- a sore throat;
- headache; Lethargy, drowsiness; chills;
- A sharp increase in temperature (up to 38-40 degrees).
How it looks:
- Tonsils blush and grow larger, as in angina;
- Lymph nodes thick, enlarged;
- The tongue is dry at first, covered with a thick brownish coating, becomes bright-crimson on 3-4 days, with smooth shiny papillae;
- The body is covered with a shallow bright pink rash. Note: the contrast between the flaming cheeks and the pale nasolabial triangle is a characteristic pattern in scarlet fever.
How is it treated:
- Strict bed rest until full recovery;
- Sparing diet;
- Antibiotic therapy;
- Taking antihistamines;
- Saturation of the body with vitamins and minerals (monitor the quality of the complexes).
Acute infectious disease with toxicDefeat of the body. The causative agent: the wand of Defler. Dangerous. If you do not start treatment on time, severe complications develop: croup, choking, disruption of the heart and central nervous system.
- Pain in the throat when swallowing (not very strong);
- Low-grade fever; General weakness;
- Low blood pressure; Uneven heart rate; lack of appetite; Barking cough; Hoarseness - shortness of breath.
How it looks:
- The mucous membrane is red, swollen; The pharyngeal and tonsil lobes are covered with characteristic dense grayish or yellowish films, with the removal of which bleeding wounds remain;
- Tonsils due to edema almost close; The neck becomes puffy.
How to be treated: to confirm the diagnosis, the child takes a swab from the throat. As soon as Detleur's wand is found:
- The child is sent to a hospital (treatment at home is unacceptable);
- The patient's condition is monitored with the help of a cardiac monitor or an electrocardiograph;
- Immediately after confirmation of the diagnosis, antitoxic serum is introduced;
- Medical treatment is conducted.